The engineer as legal advisor and corporate executive.
Brian Levitt’s career combines his background in engineering, law, and business. He is now Co-chair of Osler Hoskin & Harcourt, practicing in Montreal.
Upon graduating from Civil Engineering in 1969, Brian continued his studies at U of T in the Faculty of Law, earning his LLB in 1973. After two years working as a lawyer for the federal government’s Anti-Inflation Board, Brian joined Osler Hoskin & Harcourt in 1976. In 1979, he became a Partner for this distinguished firm.
In 1991, Brian joined Imasco Limited as President, and became CEO in 1995. However, in 2000 British American Tobacco bought the company to acquire Imperial Tobacco. Controlling interests in Canada Trust and Shoppers Drug Mart were later sold off as well. Brian returned to Osler as Co-chair – opening the firm’s Montreal office in 2001.
- Top-rated legal counsel on corporate mergers and acquisitions, including international conditions and corporate governance.
- One of Canada’s top 500 lawyers.
- Director of BCE, Domtar Corporation and the C.D. Howe Institute.
- Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts.
- Former member, Faculty of Law Strategic Development Board.