CivE 6T8, PhD 8T2
Lloyd has consistently distinguished himself as a leader in the engineering profession.
As a young professional, Lloyd made his mark at the World Bank by helping to develop a computer model to optimize road
transportation investment in developing countries.
From there, he moved to the Department of National Defence where he carried out a range of engineering assignments at
military bases across the country. In 1973, Lloyd joined Transport Canada’s Transportation Development Agency, where he worked
primarily in the area of urban transportation.
In 1983, a move to Transport Canada’s Air Administration marked the beginning of his foray into the world of airports. Working in
Ottawa and Toronto, Lloyd moved from Director of Statistics and Forecasts to Director General of Airport Marketing, then Safety
and Technical Services and finally to Project Services Manager of Major Crown projects. In 1994, Lloyd took on his final assignment
with Transport Canada as Airport General Manager of Toronto’s Lester B. Pearson International Airport, leading staff through
their transfer to the private sector in 1996.
From 1996 to 2007, Lloyd oversaw the planning, design and construction of a $4.4 billion airport modernization and
expansion program as Vice President of the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA). In 2007, Lloyd became the President
and CEO of the GTAA and helped to create the strategic plan forToronto Pearson to become the North American airport of choice.
Aside from his countless professional successes, Lloyd also served in the Canadian Armed Forces. In 2010, he was appointed
Honorary Colonel of 32 Combat Engineer Regiment.
His honours include:
- Member, PEO, 1970
- Massey College Fellowship, 1976–1978
- Canadian Forces Decoration (CD) with clasp, 1977
- Queen’s Jubilee Medal, 1977
- Gilchrist Gold Medal, Roads and Transportation Association of Canada, 1984
- Transport Canada Merit Award, 1992
- Accredited Member, Member of the Board of Directors, International Association of Airport Executives, 1996–2001
- Deputy Minister Award for Excellence, 1996
- Award of Excellence, National Transportation Week, 1999
- Engineering Medal, Management Category, PEO and OSPE, 2009
- Member of the Board, Tourism Toronto, appointed 2009