BASc, MASc, PhD
Rocky Simmons is Chairman and CEO of Eco-Tec Inc., a globally recognized manufacturer of economical, efficient water purification, gas processing, and chemical recovery systems for industrial operations. Eco-Tec’s Recoflo® process, based on enhanced ion-exchange technology, occupies an expanding global market position in the suplly of advanced water treatment systems to manufacturing and chemical companies. Rocky is both the originator and the driver of this enterprise that has supplied over 1,500 systems in 53 countries.
He started out with PhD research demonstrating the technical feasibility of the idea of using ion exchange in a cyclic process. Joining Wix Filter Corporation in 1968, he demonstrated the commercial potential of the technology. Ultimately, in 1985, he and his partners launched the Eco-Tec family of private companies, now a highly successful ISO-certified enterprise. Eco-Tec is an international leader in the development of purification and recovery systems based on a suite of separation technologies. Its water treatment and chemical recovery systems are used in the power generation, automotive, chemical, pulp and paer and metal processing industries.
- Converting an idea into a highly successful business.
- Driving productivity while still maintaining a high level of employee satisfaction.
- Developing a strong management team, including a new President and CEO, through hiring many of the University of Toronto Engineering graduates.
- Making notable contributions to the community and higher education through his work at the Ontario Institute of Technology and the Board of Advisers of the University’s Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry.
- Member of the Dean’s Advisory Board of the University’s Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering.
- Bantrel Award in Design and Industrial Practice by the Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering (2002).
- University of of Toronto Arbor Award (2005).
- Ontario Professional Engineers Entrepreneurship Award (2006).
- The Ernest M. LeSueur Memorial Award of the Society of Chemical Industry (2007).
- City of Pickering Special Citation Civic Award (2007).
- Canada Award for Business Excellence (1991).
- Ajax-Pickering Board of Trade Business Excellence Award (1994).
- Canada’s 50 Best Managed Private Companies (1995-1998).
- Canadian Innovation Award for Environmental Technology by Canadian Manufacturers and Importers (2004).
- Falconbridge Innovation Award by the Metallurgical Society of CIM (2005).
- Ontario Global Traders Award by Export Development Canada (2005).
- Ontario Global Traders Award by Export Development Canada (2007).